Saturday, May 12, 2012

But Mom, You Didn't Tell Me NOT To Do It!

While my kids were growing up, they occasionally did something naughty. I came into the kitchen one day and my 2 boys were sawing away at our utensil drawer with knives. I said, “Hey, you guys aren't supposed to cut the drawer!” They replied in innocent voices, “You didn't tell us NOT to cut the drawer!” Suddenly, I felt a wave of frustration, helplessness and overwhelming hilarity all at the same time. What they said was true. I didn't tell them not to cut the drawer! Was I supposed to think of everything they shouldn't do and tell them before they did it? That was impossible!

Those 2 boys are now grown up and wonderful young men. The drawer still has the knife wounds but I think of that moment fondly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment