Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bread-Making Tips for Shorter Rise Time

Homemade sliced whole wheat bread
Homemade Sliced Whole Wheat Bread

I keep my whole wheat flour in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. When I bake bread, I put the flour I'll use in the microwave for 5-15 seconds per cup BEFORE mixing it in with the wet ingredients. This makes the flour nice and warm. Be sure not to "cook" it too long. You don't want to kill the yeast when you dump the flour in!

I measure the flour into a big glass microwave-safe bowl. Start by cooking it on high for 5 seconds per cup. Take it out of the microwave and stir it up. Does it feel slightly warmer than your skin? If not, microwave for a few more seconds. After you've done this a few times, you'll know how long to "cook" the flour for your next loaf. Be sure to stir it after microwaving, because the flour at the bottom seems hotter than the flour at the top.

I use quick rise yeast and don't need to let the bread rise twice. Immediately after kneading the dough, I put it directly in the bread pans and it rises quickly, usually within a half hour or so.

After the bread has cooled on a wire rack, I slice it with an electric knife. I put my loaves in the freezer to keep them fresh longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment